Sunday, April 28, 2013

I dream of pickles


I have a major problem, I am forever craving pickles! Day or night, pickles always sound good! (I’m not pregnant I swear!) So anyways, I went online to try and figure out why I feel like I need pickles to survive and found some pretty cool information on why we crave certain foods, so I thought it would be fun to explain some.
1.   Sweets- when you are craving sweets, it is often because you are tired. (Same deal for bread cravings). Your body craves carbohydrates for a quick rush of energy to keep you awake. So next time you crave a chocolate bar, skip it and op for a nap instead! Pretty cool, huh?
2. Something to crunch on-Cravings for crunchy food is often because of frustration.  By munching on snacks like peanuts or chips, you temporarily relieve the frustration built up in your body, but when the crunching stops, so does the relief. So instead of eating a whole bag of chips, let go of frustration by working out! Once again, the solution is much healthier than giving into the craving, I’m seeing a trend!
3.  Caffeine- This one stumped me! Caffeine cravings are most often due to dehydration, but caffeine is one of the substances that dehydrate your body. It doesn’t make sense to be, but instead of reaching for a mountain dew or coffee when you have that “need” for caffeine, grab a big glass of ice water and drink up! 4.Pickles- This one doesn’t seem to have a definite answer. I have read that it can be either a potassium or sodium deficiency (but in most cases it’s an article for pregnant women.)

Cravings aren’t a bad thing, but if there is a simpler or healthier way to get rid of it, why wouldn’t you? Just something interesting to think about!

(info gathered from Huffington Post and Various mom-to-be blogs)
(307)

No comments:

Post a Comment