Sunday, April 28, 2013

Don't judge me, I won't judge you


“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” –Aristotle

Unfortunately, Aristotle is right on target these days. There is no place free of critics anymore. What you say, what you watch, what you listen to, what you want to be, etc. is all under a microscope to be analyzed, criticized and  changed by those who surround you. Everyone has their own way of thinking and no matter what is done; it will be criticized by someone whose opinion differs.

How is anyone supposed to feel proud of what they accomplish or even accomplish anything if they are too concerned about the looming criticism they will receive? Take this post for example, I could work for weeks on this and still, I guarantee someone would read it and criticize the work. Everyone is different and should be accepted as such, not pushed into what someone else wants them to conform to.

I have regretfully noticed that the people claiming to be the most individual are often the most critical of others. Just because I want to listen to “mainstream” music in my “mainstream” clothes doesn't mean that I am any less of an individual. I have my own thoughts and my own opinions. I eat meat, you don’t. I think gay marriage should be accepted everywhere, you don’t. I love country music, you don’t. None of these differences matter to me as long as my beliefs are respected; don’t judge my opinions and I won’t judge yours.

I’m not trying to say I’m a perfect person who never criticizes anyone, I do it all the time! But what I’m trying to work on doing, and I hope others will too, is notice differences about people and accept them for what they are. I also think that a major part of this is accepting yourself; I want to wear solid-color brand names every day, not because I’m conforming, but because that is what I am comfortable in. I shouldn't have to feel ashamed about that or anything else for that matter because of what others think. 
(356)

No comments:

Post a Comment